Digital materials engineering
Advanced engineering applications, e.g., gas turbines in energy generation and aerospace, increasingly require smart hierarchically structured materials-by-design to deliver the required functional performance and mechanical reliability. These objectives are satisfied by digital design and creation of material structures over the range of scales from nanometer to millimeter size.
DMEH members are already involved in co-operation with leading industrial and research partners in Russia (RUSAL, TSAGI, VIAM, MISiS, RQC, Roshal Trauma Surgery Institute, MGMSU, Laser Apparatuses) and internationally (ESRF, DLS, ANSYS-Granta). Digital Materials Engineering Hub follows a clearly articulated fundamental research and development agenda.
Workpackages contributed to industrial projects
The team of the scientific group
Head of lab
Projects & research
Digital Materials Engineering
- Digital design and modelling, synthesis, fabrication, treatment and digital analysis of internal structure and mechanical phenomena - elasticity, plasticity, failure, fatigue and residual stress - in applied and advanced materials (in aerospace materials - RSCF grant and RUSAL cooperation).
- Development of digital multimodal X-ray and other microscopy methods (optical, electron, ion) for non-destructive characterization and testing of materials and engineering objects
- Integration of methodological, instrumental and computational facilities to create Digital Twins of complex engineering objects and systems through the processing of multimodal and multiscale Big Data on materials structure and properties
- Integration of Digital and Material Twins (brain phantoms, artificial muscles, ligaments, tendons and bones) for advanced studies of processes and phenomena to implement complex multimodal Digital Testing (brain trauma)
- Advanced bioinspired (diatoms, bamboo, bone, spider silk, egg shell) materials and structures for structural, biomedical and functional (photonics) applications – in cooperation with CPQM.
- RSCF grant - Multiscale experimental analysis of stresses in light alloys and materials for aviation (2021-2023). Development of number of new digital techniques for experimental analysis of residual stresses over submicrometer – hundreds of micrometer scale. Industrial project: Optimization of CO2-sterilization of medical devices (2021-2022).